SoundPLAN is an acoustic ray tracing program for noise propagation prediction written by the German acoustical consulting firm, SoundPLAN GmbH. The software is an acoustical planning and modeling tool with a wide range of applications (Urban Planning, Environmental Assessment, Noise Analysis, Noise Control Optimization, Field Noise Mapping, OSHA / MSHA,....).
SoundPLAN is a three dimensional graphics oriented program. It hosts a digitizer and numerous digital data interface. The software produces color noise contour plots and tabulations of the input data and results. SoundPLAN also includes a wall / barrier design optimization utility and an industrial noise control module. Graphic displays help to visualize the benefit of noise control measures in terms of cost vs. noise level reduction.
SoundPLAN was introduced in the United States in 1992. It is an established program and has a long history of use throughout the world. Over 2500 copies of SoundPLAN have been sold in Asia, Western Europe and North America and there are now more than 5000 users. Training courses are offered, which cover noise modeling theory, application and operation of the software. Technical support includes both a North American and international "Hot Line".
SoundPLAN is an unique modeling and presentation tools, that allowes to visualize the effects of noise propagation throughout plants, factories, theme parks or along road and railroad lines. Optimization funciton allow the consideration of cost vs. effect. The software visualize the noise situation through an extensive graphical user interface.
SoundPLAN v8.1 Trial Software
Demo / Trial Software Download (422 MB) (To install the software as a full trial version please contact Navcon for a trial license - forschner (at) navcon.com )
Top Feature for selecting SoundPLAN
- traceable propagation models [The propagation models included in SoundPLAN are based upon consistent sets of empirical data. These models allow for noise predictions within a certain level of accuracy. However, it should be noted that although the physics of sound propagation are always the same, the source and propagation parameters can change dramatically. The various models in SoundPLAN allow the user to modify these parameters to match the acoustic environment being analyzed.]
- versatile definition of the sources input [frequency spectrum, time schedule or idle pattern, directivity, mitigation factors, etc.]
- numerous control and QA features for the verification of input geometry and source data.
- documentation feature to annotate the input, the data processing or the results (e.g., specific input object, Geo-File/ layer, Situation, Calculation, detailed result tables,..)
- graphic tools for the visualization and presentation of the input and output data (i.e., Did the analysis consider this source, the road, this loudspeaker, this building, etc.?), the acoustical hot-spots (i.e., the nature of the problem), the conflicts (i.e. comparisons with governing regulations) and the benefits of various noise mitigation measures.
- noise control optimization features [Which is very important from a financial perspective, e.g., cost versus benefit ratios. For example, 5 dB reduction for a source may cost $30,000 or $60,000 but the overall benefit is insignificant unless other source are reduced in the same way].